Thursday, 22 July 2010

Lets Regroup...

Well, its been a pretty eventful couple of days in blogland hasn't it?

I have to be honest and say that after writing about the MAC-Rodarte issues, I was finding it difficult to contemplate going back to makeup reviews etc. So I took a break to "regroup" as they say.


I'm obviously going to pass on any further information I get about what happens with the MAC for Rodarte collection, as it something that evidently a lot of people, myself included, have strong and varied opinions on. 


I think on a personal level, I feel angry that the femicides and maquilladora issues were going on and so many people (and I include myself in that number) were unaware. And thats an issue that goes beyond any makeup or fashion collection really - Partly, I have to acknowledge my own failings to show awareness of the things going on in the world, and that is something I have always been aware of as a fault within myself. But I'm also saddened by the low media coverage of these issues - if the same thing had been going on in London, or New York, for example, the media would surely have been screaming from the rooftops. 

There is so much more I wish I could do - and I have a bit of a thinking cap on over that, as I know a couple of other people do.

So I suppose this is a bit of a personal post really to let you all know that although the reviews and face of the day and skincare posts will be back and "normal service" will be resumed now, that I have not forgotten, and probably never will forget how horrified I was when I was researching and writing about the issues in Juarez. So many opinions exist out there on the internet, the blogging community and the web at large about the makeup collection - is it right? Is it wrong? Did MAC really think it was OK? What really inpired Rodarte's collection? etc. At the end of the day though, all that seems to pale into insignificance when the human cost of the femicides is really thought about...

There is a segment in this video clip which has been haunting me since this whole thing started - watch the whole video of course, (or don't if that is your preference - I'm not here to dictate what people should or shouldn't be affected by) but the particular part I am referring to is about the children left behind - approx 1.30 in.


I hope you don't mind me sharing this - my intention is not to offend, or induce guilt. I suppose I just wanted to explain why I was bothered by this whole thing on a personal level... I think I also wanted to get this out of my head and onto my blog, so that I could move forward. I realise that might sound a little dramatic, and I apologise. Its just my feelings, and my way of dealing with them...


So there we go. 


As mentioned - "Normal Service will now Resume"

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully said, My Lady. It's so hard to go back to talking about nail varnish after the shell-style shock of being made aware of such a horrid situation going on in the world. I really appreciate how you've put this and you've definitely helped me get my own head around how to start "getting back to normal life" whilst still making sure I'm not complacent. Thanks again! R xxx

kuri said...

Thanks for the very introspective post. Well said. I totally agree, in particular about my own lack of awareness.

Unknown said...

Hi Jen,

Completely agree.

Beautifully summed up.

I too have felt like it is disrespectful to follow up such an important issue with a review on face cream...

Although I had heard of the situation and seen documentaries about it - it's very easy to let it fall to the back of your mind when it's not on your doorstep.

Well said.

Cxxx

Olivia said...

Very well said. I think this issue has affected a lot of us.

You and every other blogger of course must resume normal service and that's nothing to feel bad about. We're beauty bloggers after all, not human rights activists.

However, if anyone does wish to do one last thing to help the cause and push MAC/Rodarte into making a longer-term committment to the women of Juarez, there is a petition which you can sign to this effect.

http://bit.ly/macrodartepetition

The petition explains the reasons behind it. You can also view my thoughts in more detail on my blog, www.healingbeauty.co.uk.

Thanks to you and everyone else who've already done so much for this cause in raising awareness and standing up to a global company. We've come so far; just one last push and we could help make a real, lasting difference.

xx

beautygeeek, Lola said...

thanks you. A great post and very well said. i too am haunted by these events which i was not so aware of until i looked into it for MAC/Rodarte. As you said, although the usual blog posts will continue, it will be difficult to forget about these women. xx

BritishBeautyBlogger said...

Well said and thanks for posting video...it really isn't something that can be or should be easily forgotten about. The mainstream media really have shied away, haven't they?

Cynthia C. said...

Thanks for this thoughtful post. Thanks also for the video - quite haunting.

Gail said...

There is a lot of pain in the world, and with blogs and youtube, guerrilla journalism is everywhere and literally no issues are hidden if you want to find them in this day and age. MAC for better or worse have forced us the beauty community to confront this particular issue but there are many more.

MAC could have been encouraged to make it a trend to focus on a cause other than HIV and make talking about an issue a common theme for us, but instead have been kicked down because we'd rather have our beauty served to us shallow and sweet. Oh well let's now be glad we've done our duty and can move back to talking about our latest makeup shopping!

*I do empathise with those who feel outraged and upset, esp those with personal stories of loss, but I think if the whole subject had been framed differently, it could have actually been a force for good and a turning point, combining consumerism with charity and global awareness. Punishing MAC by insisting they make no profit etc seems irrational. $100,000 donation may seem paltry, but if those who feel strongly put their money where their mouth is and boycott it... Asking for no profit implies wanting to eliminate any guilt from spending on makeup. Maybe it was about time we felt guilty about how much we spend on beauty when some women suffer so much. Now that would be a lesson learned.