Friday, 18 February 2011

A Big Fat Con?

Anyone who chats with me on twitter might have noticed me mentioning and chatting about a programme that was shown on the UK here on BBC3 called "The Big Fat Truth About Low Fat Food". Click on the link to see the programme on BBCiPlayer.

Now as someone who has been a yo-yo dieter for probably over ten years now, this made for very interesting viewing! I definitely fell into the trap of low fat foods. I've never thought of myself as a big consumer of "ready meals", which is one of the foods featured in the show, but when I watched the show, I was shocked at how many foods on there which are classed as "processed" feature in my diet on a regular basis - diet coke, low fat cakes, crisps, cereal bars, low fat yogurt...


 The basic messages behind the programme were that when the fat is taken out of a food, it has to be replaced with something else. Usually this is sugar, or a manufactured chemical food replacement - and none of the ones discussed in the programme are exactly appetising.
Unfortunately, you can't kid your body with sugar and chemicals - as a result you don't feel satisfied, so you eat more. The presenter of the programme actually gained weight (a measly three lb which seemed a major drama for her... ) after eating LF food exclusively for a month.

Secondly, chemicals aside theres very little of nutritional value in the food - a distinct lack of fibre for example. And as they are so highly processed they break down super quick resulting in energy highs and lows... so again you eat more to feel better, as well as feeling bloated, constipated and sluggish...

So after watching this, I had something of an epiphany. Diets, or at least the ones I have tried, just simply don't work. Now I know what you're thinking - you've heard that before. I thought the same, but for some reason this programme clicked with me and brought the message home!

So I'm not buying low fat processed food any more. I'm going to buy regular food which is naturally lower in fat, higher in fibre, and low in sugar. I'm also still going to eat chocolate. But only good quality high percentage cocoa solids, and not every day. I know I still have weight to lose. But I don't intend to punish my body any more. I need to feel more positive and get a healthy relationship back with food.

I need to relearn how to stop eating when full, enjoy food, and enjoy mealtimes.

Did you watch the programme? How did you feel - did it make any impact on you? If you are lucky enough to have a good relationship with food, what sort of foods do you eat on a typical day? I need inspiration please? I feel like I'm starting from scratch, but I am excited about this!

7 comments:

*Zoe* said...

I didn't see the programme but what you have written makes sense...I've never thought about it like that before. My cupboards are full of Go Ahead bars and Snack a Jacks but really these are no good either! I'm going to rethink my food choices from now on - thanks for the enlightenment!
Zoe x

BritishBeautyBlogger said...

Jen love this post. My weight goes up and down and I'm a bit heavier than I want to be at the moment. My natural instinct is just to not eat and put up with the hunger (I can do it if I put my mind to it) but am trying to be more sensible this time around. So, if I feel hungry I try to always have a drink first (no, not gin!) - a hot cup of tea, herbal tea, hot squash or something to see if that takes hunger down and if it was maybe thirst (apparently hunger and thirst are often confused by body). Then I cut out wheat as much as possible and eat gluten free bread which isn't very nice but you never end up with a bloating feeling which is bad for the psyche anyway! And then it's just a question of trying not to dive into the chocs. And more often than not, just a couple of pieces of chocolate gets rid of the sweet craving completely and you just don't need the whole bar. XXX

mizzworthy said...

@Zoe - thanks, I def recommend watching the programme if you can. It's hard to make the change and realise low fat foods, which aren't naturally low fat (eg a chicken breast, v's a bag of snack a jacks), are really not good for you,and to trust yourself to make better choices!

@BritishBeautyBlogger - Thanks Jane. For some reason the programme really brought home stuff I've heard before, but never really taken on board properly. I definitely thing not making sure you have enough fluids on board makes you feel hungrier too. As for bread, I'm planning on switching to more wholegrain filling versions and seeing how that goes. Its exciting but scary at the same time!

MakeupLoveer said...

I watched it too and was so shocked by a lot of what they showed. Today I binned a load of 'low fat' produce and I certainly wont be buying again.
www.makeuploveer.blogspot.com

Lu xx

mizzworthy said...

@MakeupLoveer - couldn't agree more - it really rang true with me, and really put me off a lot of food in my kitchen!

Musing on Beauty said...

Haven't seen this program but I saw one a while ago on how sweeteners like aspartam mess up with our body because the sweet taste makes our brain think he needs to produce insulin to deal with sugar, and then since we didn't really absorb sugar, we get cravings because of the high insulin level, so we eat more etc...

I've always had to watch my weight, not eating ready stuff has helped a lot. Also I rather eat a full-fat yoghurt or a piece of full-fat cheese once in the week than low-fat/low-sugar stuff every day. I'm sure it has helped me maintaining my weight these past years.

Good luck with the new eating habits! :)

Unknown said...

I really believe that diets are a bad idea and I hate it when companies push low fat foods. You need fat in your diet - it can be good for you if not in excess and so much better then the sugar loaded low fat versions!

A little bit of what you fancy is no bad thing. Besides, I'd much rather do some occasional exercise and eat the food I enjoy than feel like I'm depriving myself of the things I want and the nutrients I need.

Great post!